Sunday, 15 September 2019

Dearest Lavender Feathered Square, Honeycomb & Orphans

I’ve been on bit of a roll with my Dearest Lavender blocks. I’ve completed the Feathered Square...

...the Honeycomb...

...and I've been putting some borders on a couple of orphan blocks to bring them up to the required 10"...

My friends have finished all of their blocks and are finishing off their Dearest Boy quilts: 

'Til next time

Tuesday, 3 September 2019

Dearest Lavender Crossed Canoes & Caesar’s Crown blocks

Catching up on a couple of Dearest Lavender blocks, a variation on Crossed Canoes...

Dearest Boy Quilt; Crossed canoes

...and Caesar’s Crown.

Dearest Boy Quilt; Caesar's Crown

I have completely lost all confidence in the original Dearest Boy pattern and have drafted these blocks myself just to make sure everything fits. This partly explains why I'm so behind - starting a new project also doesn't help :D

Lavender and Bruce are thinking it’s getting pretty muddy around the shed but they’re still hopeful of getting some of Hettie's leftovers.

'Til next time

Monday, 22 July 2019

Return to Dear Jane

Thanks to the inspiration of my blogging friend Julie I am returning to work on some blocks for my version of Dear Jane. I am looking at the blocks with a fresh eye and seeing how they can be completed in potentially simple ways. That’s why Brenda Papadakis' book is great as you also get a clear pic of the original block.

Dear Jane quilt block D1

For D-1 Alison’s Guiding Light I appliquéd strips over one piece of background rather than piecing it. I’ve also left off the fiddly borders. I know there’s heaps of resources out there on how to construct the different blocks but I’m just going to think about each one as I get to it - good brain training! This approach was encouraged by Brenda when I was lucky enough to meet her and do a workshop at Linda’s Quilts in the Barn. It’s hard to believe that was nearly five years ago!

I have completed 38 blocks (+ a few triangles) and I’m using all blue Liberty fabrics.

I haven’t forgotten about Dearest Lavender but hubby has had to be re-admitted to hospital in Melbourne so these little blocks are easier to prepare and more portable for all those waiting times.

‘Til next time

Sunday, 30 June 2019

Dearest Lavender tomato block

I digress yet again from the original Dearest Boy pattern which had 4 strawberries, I decided to do 4 tomatoes instead.

I already had strawberries elsewhere in the quilt and I wanted to have tomatoes because I converted Lavender’s pen into a vegetable garden and grew some wonderful tomatoes.

This Lavender in her pen when she was a few months old, with lavender growing in the background - that's how she got her name.

And here is a more recent photo of her, she seems to be approaching the size of my car!

Don't forget to visit my blogging friends for their versions of
Dearest Boy...

Cheers 'til next time

Monday, 17 June 2019

Dearest Lavender oak wreath

It’s taken me a couple of months to complete this block as my husband has been very ill.

Dearest Boy quilt
Dearest Lavender oak wreath block 5A

I changed the placement of the leaves, acorns and berries from the original pattern to make the wreath look symmetrical.

Dearest Boy oak wreath block 5A

Don't forget to check out the Dearest Boy progress of my blogging friends...


Wednesday, 15 May 2019

Dearest Lavender vase block

A quick post for my Dearest Lavender quilt. For this block I slimmed down the vase from the original design, added a striped neck and made the berries blueberries.

I'm still running behind but to see other versions of this block please visit:

Lavender is also a feature in another of my quilts (Reading the Fine Print) that I have started to QAYG.

'Til next time

Tuesday, 30 April 2019

Dearest Lavender tumbling blocks & bird block

I enjoyed making the tumbling blocks as it was relatively easy just the placement of the blocks was a bit tricky. I love the secondary effect of the star in the centre.

I’ve also been playing catch up and finished my bird block. I didn’t really fancy the bird in the original so my sister suggested I use a bird from the Home Sweet Home quilt (Blackbird Designs) instead.

After some to-ing and fro-ing with the author and trying to draft the block myself I have temporarily given up on the Live Oak block. Thanks Karen for sending me some clarifying information. I’ll get back to it when I can muster up the courage :D 

Here’s the latest view of the blocks on the design wall, it’s starting to look like a real quilt! That big gap in the centre is just waiting for Lavender.

Don't forget to check out my blogging friends:

Until next time