Monday 22 July 2019

Return to Dear Jane

Thanks to the inspiration of my blogging friend Julie I am returning to work on some blocks for my version of Dear Jane. I am looking at the blocks with a fresh eye and seeing how they can be completed in potentially simple ways. That’s why Brenda Papadakis' book is great as you also get a clear pic of the original block.

Dear Jane quilt block D1

For D-1 Alison’s Guiding Light I appliquéd strips over one piece of background rather than piecing it. I’ve also left off the fiddly borders. I know there’s heaps of resources out there on how to construct the different blocks but I’m just going to think about each one as I get to it - good brain training! This approach was encouraged by Brenda when I was lucky enough to meet her and do a workshop at Linda’s Quilts in the Barn. It’s hard to believe that was nearly five years ago!


I have completed 38 blocks (+ a few triangles) and I’m using all blue Liberty fabrics.


I haven’t forgotten about Dearest Lavender but hubby has had to be re-admitted to hospital in Melbourne so these little blocks are easier to prepare and more portable for all those waiting times.

‘Til next time
Carole 

10 comments:

  1. How pretty!! I love your fabrics...I wish I had even one liberty fabric. Must find some. On we go!! Praying for your hubby, for healing and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your block. I need to did my blocks out and start working on mine. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to learn that your husband has been admitted to the hospital again. I hope for improvement soon. I can see how the smaller blocks are easier to cart around and work on. I am prepping the cow block for Dearest Boy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go! Love the idea of applique rather then trying to piece. Fingers and toes crossed that the doctors give your husband all good news.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your dear husband's health is improving and the bits of stitching you have time to do, let's you find a moment of peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodluck with your dear Jane blocks..... Goodluck for dh too....

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry about your hubby! Thinking of your both. Yes Julie is tempting me to restart my Jane. I made 9 blocks, gave up and made a machine cover with the 9 blocks! I am debating!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed seeing your dear jane block Julie encouraged me to start mine again hope all goes well for your hubby

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like white materials with decorations in various shades of blue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope your hubby is on the mend. I made a start on DJ long ago. Good for you for giving it a new go!!

    ReplyDelete