Wednesday 23 July 2014

Marathon weekend Day 1

I had a great weekend of sewing, sewing, sewing. Saturday was at my sister's with two friends, we are all working on Di Ford's Antique Wedding Sampler.
Judy's place was transformed into a professional looking classroom
I had decided to get my rogue block #23 from out of a small box in a dark corner. It had been banished due to some in-correct measurements. Di Ford had confirmed what the hst's should be, so we re-checked and decided that what was needed was the 1.5" Thangles.



So I cut all the strips and pinned them all up. Despite Lyn querying how many I needed I went ahead and prepared 48 - double the amount I needed! Grrrr.... I was thinking this block was cursed. Anyway got on with it and spent the rest of the day and into the night machine piecing the hst's and the centre star. The pink corner stars had been made months ago.




The centre pieces were quite small and I didn't know if I would be able to piece them on the machine but I managed it.



This block has now gone from being loathed to loved :)



I also laid out all the blocks I've made so far.It was great having help with choosing fabrics!



Lyn spent the day (and into the night) squaring up the blocks and sewing them altogether for her son's stunning large quilt. 

'Centred Kissez'  pattern by Stargazey Quilts
I just love the fabrics, many of them my favourite Japanese taupes. 
Doesn't the yellow just pop beautifully?


Sophie had bought along a quilt that she had made but no longer liked. Originally it was bright batiks on white backgrounds, she was so unhappy with it that she didn't even want me to take a photo so unfortunately I can't do the before and after story. Here is the after photo, after it was dyed to tone down the brights and give it a more antique look.


Isn't it just beautiful!!
Day 2 coming up next.





14 comments:

  1. Your Antique Wedding Quilt blocks are coming a long beautifully. I know . . . you just make one block at a time and eventually you will have them all done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful inspiration at your sewing day. Your blocks are coming along so well, and the other quilts are both stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous of your sewing day! I love your block so much - definitely worth the extra effort! And your friends' quilts are amazing! Especially love the yellow cross one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Wedding Sampler is coming along just beautifully. What type of dye did you use on your friends quilt? It came out great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am completely in love with your Wedding sampler blocks! So so beautiful, refined and smart! How do you plan to quilt it? Machine or hand? The dyed quilt looks great, I imagine much better than originally with bright batiks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see your Wedding Sampler completed! The blocks you've made are just such lovely colors that I know the final top is really going to be stunning!! Beautiful blocks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your block colors are lovely! The patterns and your workmanship are breathtaking! I love that bluey-greeny color! Wow! XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love each and every quilt! Your Antique Wedding quilt colours are so soft and pretty. The grey quilt is perfect for a boy/man. It is so hard to find quilts like that. And it is too bad Sophie didn't allow a before picture. Sometimes it is good to be able to see the before and after pictures because it is very instructive for those who might have a similar problem!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your blocks and the fabrics you have chosen are gorgeous !!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun weekend you must have had - and very productive. Congratulations on mastering that block - it looks wonderful - as do all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to see you all having a productive sewing weekend. Love the colours of your Wedding Sampler.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carole I simply love the Antique Wedding Quilt... I couldn't imagine making a block with those time HST's ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything is looking wonderful and so fun! What a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your AWS is coming along beauitfully! Well done for conquering that block.

    ReplyDelete