Monday 17 November 2014

Swimming with sea lions

I've been madly sewing lately rather than having time to blog. Anyway here's the next instalment of our trip across the Nullabor. After leaving Port Augusta we travelled south to Port Lincoln. This is a fishing town where many prawn and tuna fishing trawlers leave from.


Port Lincoln marina

From here I also went swimming with sea lions. The day I booked was cancelled due to bad weather but luckily I was able to go the next morning. The sea lions were very curious and as soon as we dropped anchor near their beach the teenage seals came out to play. The captain of the ship kindly lent me her underwater camera and I managed to take these shots.

As you can see they came very close and touched me with their whiskers (known as vibrissae).

We stayed in a beautiful stone cottage.
Hermitage Garden Cottage

There was a trilingual library and a perfect chair where I could sit and sew.
Port Lincoln also had a beautiful patchwork shop - The Patchwork Pear.
I bought some fabrics for Aunty Green, Gossip in the Garden (GiG) and I'm collecting yellow and grey fabrics.

On the trip I mostly worked on hand piecing hexies for GiG. I don't like the glue method so I thought I'd try and just use paper clips - they look great but totally unworkable when it came to sewing them together :D
I ended up tacking the fabric down without going through the papers.




Since I've been home I've done a bit more catching up on the Gossip BOM.


We farewelled Port Lincoln and it's wildlife (I mentioned in my last post that my bird photography improved) and headed for our next stop at Ceduna.
Along the way there were some interesting rock formations...

Murphy's Haystacks
...and more interesting plants.
Grass trees

Next instalment - the actual Nullabor!






5 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful . . . I have snow outside my windows this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! We have ice and snow...the schools and government offices are all closed down. Winter is not my favorite! Love the colors in your Gossip! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a marvelous trip - I've been there over 20 years ago so it is lovely to be reminded. The shapes and colours of the rocks are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photos. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just beautiful thanks for sharing !!

    ReplyDelete