Saturday 20 September 2014

Finally

Yay! Finally I have a finish - my Comfort Quilt top.



After thinking that I would big stitch quilt this by hand I decided that I wouldn't get to it for ages so I'm going to have it machine quilted. I was feeling in need of having something finished this year. Now I just have to decide on which type of pattern. At first I was thinking of spirals...


Google image
Then I was thinking of baptist fans...


Google image

which would match the backing fabric.


And then I saw this quilting on Audrey's 'Lil Retro Baby' quilt and I really like the way she has used a clever mix of both horizontal and and vertical lines.

'Lil Retro Baby' quilt by Audrey @ Quilty Folk
I think this is more in line (no pun intended) with the original design. What do you think? Opinions please!

I also have another small finish that I made with pieced scraps from the Comfort Quilt. 
These tumblers were going to be a bag.


But then I decided I didn't really want a bag, I'd much rather have a box.


 This clever little box has a that lid folds out to reveal a cutting mat...



and a preparation area.


Bits and bobs can fit inside snuggly.


Quite snazzy really and sooooo nice to have something finished!


I bought the box as a kit from Heather's Sewing Room - it comes with everything, just add your own fabric and lining paper.
Don't forget to help with me with some quilting advice :)


18 comments:

  1. I just love this quilt top. your choices for quilting are good. Baptist fans is usually my go to pattern but this time I think I would choose the diagonal lines or circles! I think I am being influenced by all the modern quilts I have been seeing on line using the circles on quilts with so many lines, love the look of opposites….and then the straight lines adds that organic look I am drawn to lately. choice straight lines!
    love love love the box! tumblers are wonderful :)
    thanks for sharing I have loved the boxes heather has made.
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely top...I think the lines option would suit it best though anything would look nice, of course! : 0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carole. I read your blog regularly, but this is the first time I have commented. I love the box. The tumblers are cute and the colours are wonderful. Your quilt is beautiful. I think you are right, the lines will suit the style of the quilt. Kind Regards. Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to go with the fans until I saw the lines. I really like the effect of straight quilting rows and I think it suits the geometry of your top. Also offers a contrast to the fans on the backing. Very nifty box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I would go with the straight lines. The fans are too traditional for this modern quilt and the spirals would take away from the pattern of the quilt design. Just my humble opinion. How ever your decide it will be a great quilt. Cute little box.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the fans even after seeing the straight lines. It is such a pretty quilt and I just love the fabrics you used.
    And look at the box. You are so smart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love this quilt and what you did with the scraps! Just so creative! WTG on finishing something! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your box! I really like baptist fan quitting, I think curved quilting designs look really good on geometric quilts

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think all of the quilting designs would work nicely on your top. The straight lines would definitely look more modern, the swirls are fun, and the fans would be a nice traditional design. Your sewing box is pretty cool-love your little tumblers on it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very sweet comfort quilt! The colors are very serene. So fun that you found inspiration in my very humble machine quilting! lol LOVE your little quilt box. Wonderful idea to use up scraps.:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also thought the fans would be perfect but then ...the lines would be really good too! Either way it is a beautiful finish and the backing fabric is gorgeous too! Wow - love the box with the re-purposed tumblers - what a great idea. Can't go past a useful, beautiful item that is finished quickly :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both the comfort quilt and the quilting box are lovely! Comfort quilt just looks relaxing and peaceful with design and colors. I like the idea of spirals or the straight line modern quilting for the quilt. The backing is great too! You will have fun choosing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done on completing your sewing box. I love your pieced top it looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt top is so beautiful! I would vote for the straight lines for a modern geometrical look.
    Your box is great with the tumblers cover. You are really efficient!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Two great finishes Carole. Good luck with the quilting choice, I'm looking forward to seeing what you decided to go with.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will go with horizontal and vertical lines for this quilt myself. It's nicely put together Carole. Love the box too. Never have too many boxes! Hugs Nat

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm afraid I'm not going to be a lot of help - my first inclination was fans but the straight lines are so modern and would suit the quilt very well! I don't think you could go wrong with either so I would probably select the pattern that would be easiest to quilt if you are doing it with your domestic sewing machine! Your box with the tumbling blocks is really lovely!

    ReplyDelete