Saturday 5 April 2014

Can of Worms

Judy and I went to see the Australian Quilters Association Members' Exhibition at the Box Hill Town Hall yesterday.


Unfortunately, this is the only picture of a quilt that I can show because it was outside the exhibition.


I know this potentially 'opens a can of worms' but I personally don't understand why you shouldn't be able to post photos on a blog, of quilts that are on public display. The issue isn't the taking photos as you were able to take them for personal use. A request to accredit the makers and designers could be a requirement. I just think it's a shame that we can't share these wonderful quilts more widely - what do you think?

The exhibition was very inspirational and it was fascinating to read about and see all of the different versions of the 'Elizabeth's Legacy' quilt including Jan Mac's
I then went home motivated to tidy up my very messy sewing room and do some prep. I got the inspiration for the ring of rose fabric from Miriam's Jane Pizar block. This is what I'm talking about - sharing ideas from each other!

Antique Wedding Sampler Block #9
Also did some appliqué for the CCCQ - I hope those wrinkles iron out.

Chester County Criswell Quilt block #18 
On the way to the exhibition I picked up Judy and grabbed some pics of her AWS design wall and a better photo of her block #  to update my last post.


Cheers
Carole



10 comments:

  1. I agree Carole. I wasn't aware that there was a restriction on posting photos of the exhibition and I get so much inspiration from seeing other quilter's beautiful work that I think it's a shame we can't share them online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a country quilter who doesn't get the opportunity to see many exhibits I definitely agree with you. It is important to acknowledge the maker too. Love your new blocks, your appliqué is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad I am not the only one who feels strongly about not posting on the quilts at these shows...I think they are not doing any benefit foer the quilters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your Carole. What they don't get it that you are giving them free advertisement! Why make quilts if you don't want anyone to see them! On my travels when I asked not to take photos I tell them that I'm spreading the words for them free! Thanks for sharing it - Hugs Nat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why forbid photos from an exhibition that only lasts for one day? By the time we see the blogs the show has finished and we can't view the quilts anyway. If I have a quilt hanging in a public place I want everyone to know about it. I sorry you can't share your photos Carole, you do such a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Carole, I spoke with the Quilt Show's organizers and they said that you can post photos on your blog. They said they really couldn't do anything to stop anyone but I think they meant that you couldn't use someone's design and re-produce it. I think it got a bit lost in translation so please share as many photos as you like. Hugs, Jan Mac

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you about the pictures. It’s so wonderful to be able to see pictures when you are unable to travel across the globe to see an exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so wish I could see these quilts. I find the Austrailian quilts to be so inspirational but living in the USA this is really the only way I can see them. Thanks for sharing that fabric that you are using in the ring of that block. Great idea, now I need to look for a suitable fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Carole, I found you on Jan Mac's blog and seeing "Warrandyte" in your blog name, came over to say hi, as I am in Eltham!
    I am very much in agreement with you and the other comments here. I've had this argument with a Guild that I belong to; I've explained that so many people can't get to see their exhibitions, but would love to see photos on members blogs, but they are adamant - no photos in case somebody decides to copy of their quilts! Well really, I can't see anyone bothering to even try when there are so many patterns available on the internet and in books and magazines!

    ReplyDelete