I've been on border patrol and also quite a bit of reverse sewing - don't you just hate that!
I got out my Twelve Days of Christmas and finished putting the rows together for the centre so that I could take it to Friday Threaders for advice on the border fabric. Luckily Kaye still had the fabric I used for the centre panel, using this helps to draw it all together.
All going well until I took a photo and was not happy with the layout...groan. My sister's words were in my head from when we picked up her sampler quilt and the discussion around getting a balanced look. These different backgrounds didn't look balanced, not happy with the bottom row :(
So after some reverse sewing I think this looks a lot better.
The borders for this quilt have embroidered pipers, drummers, lords and ladies so still quite a lot of work on this quilt. Wonder if I'll get it done by this Christmas?
I've had this thought before!
Gossip in the Garden also required some reverse sewing. I happened to mention to Lenora that I had forgotten to fussy cut the borders on Part B and she very kindly packed some more fabric in this month's Part C so I didn't really have a choice I HAD to re-do them. This border now looks much better without the orange and blue flowers cut in half.
I've also made some borders for the different mini blocks for Part C.
I love the fabrics that Lenora has chosen but every now and then I'm putting in my own. I thought this fabric was too pale...
...so I raided my Auntie Green stash and found this sunny yellow.
I loved making this next border with lots of different mini blocks.
Square in a square
I like to treat circles like any other appliqué shape, by drawing or tracing directly onto the fabric. Luckily I had a glass just the right size.
All the borders around the mini blocks for Part C are finished, can't wait for the next instalment to arrive this week.
I've also prepped the appliqué borders for AWS block #10.
I'm not that happy with my fabric choices for this block but I'm keeping them, I've had enough reverse sewing this week and the layout is starting to grow on me.
Well, so much for my 'border patrol' -
I'll finish with some show and tell from the Friday Threaders.
Lynette Anderson design beautifuuly made by Cynthia
Chris' own stunning design
Have a great week, whatever sewing patrol you're on.
Bev's red and green quilt - gorgeous large appliqué blocks with a border she designed herself.
And Bev's current project - I've forgotten the name of the pattern.
Amazing hexies by Jane.
Lesley was finishing a Brigitte Giblin quilt as a group project for a very lucky friend. The fabrics were just fabulous.
Judy finished a block for the AWS I am making for my sister-in-law - love it, thanks!
I worked on Block #21 for the CCCQ.
This block was relatively easy so I managed to finish this off during the week.
And once again managed to have the pattern in the fabric match the appliqué design.
On the appliqué day I also sewed down some stems for Gossip in the Garden.
And when I got home I jumped on the sewing machine to finish the appliqué.
I even managed to dig out poor old neglected Auntie Green this week and finish a few flowers.
Today, to cap off the week, I went with Judy to pick up her finished quilt from Katrina.
You should have heard our oohs and aahs when it was unfolded.
Judy designed this sampler quilt with appliqué and piecing to teach some of her colleagues how to quilt, quite a few years ago (I won't say how many!). It has been hanging up as flimsy for a number of years and this year she got around to finishing the borders and it has now come of age with Katrina's wonderful quilting.