Sunday 17 August 2014

Push button binding

After being inspired by Hilda's recent posts on her beautiful Auntie Green I thought I would get mine out this weekend before it turns into a UFO. Before going any further I did as Hilda suggested and spent a bit of time marking out the bias borders, bit too late for some flowers and leaves - oops! Now, do I  move them, leave them and put the bias over them or either side of them? Decisions...oh well, just leaving them for now.

Last year I purchased this Simplicity bias machine at a quilt show specifically to make all the binding for AG.It looks a bit like something that Frankenstein was hooked up to :) My first attempts weren't so successful so I had put aside and it was gathering dust.
Before putting it on eBay I thought I would give it another try. I watched a couple of YouTube clips which gave me some handy hints. Armed with this information, I had more success.
The true test will come when I try and do some long lengths of different fabrics joined together for the borders so I'm keeping it for now. Getting the right width is crucial and I spray a little starch before putting it through the machine.
You do get a nice binding that sits flat on the fabric, more so than with the method I learnt from Di Ford. However, because you can get this same effect with a Clover bias maker I don't think I would recommend buying one of these machines unless you are going to make a LOT of binding.

I use my stone apples to weigh down the fabric on my light box.
I've also been working on Gossip in the Garden, including this EPP little Dresden, ready to be appliqued  down.
These fabrics always make me smile.
I hope you can find some sewing time this week. 



11 comments:

  1. Wonderful colour choices on both of these! I love your Auntie Green - another quilt on my never ending wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your fabric choices for both of these quilts, so fun and happy. I always use the Clover bias makers for making bias strips, but that little machine is intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had forgotten about those binding machines. I never purchased one but they were quite the rage there for a while. Now I never hear anyone mention them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work on your Auntie Green Carole. I too had trouble fitting pieces in and ended up moving several.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Auntie is to die for! I also think your little Dresden is adorable. I love those fabrics! I stitched my little Dresden together on the machine and appliqued it on the machine. I'm getting ready to do the Gossip block with the loooong straight stem. That will only look good if the stem is straight. I might tackle that today. I've been cutting 9" WOF strips to put together a bundle for people starting the Farmer's Wife Quilt Along in Sept. Hope hauling those bolts around will make me lose some weight (oh well, I can hope). Still have to do the big Dresdens in the Gossip quilt. Just don't want to do that much EPP. Well, of to finish cutting and then photograph the 9" strips. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you are back with Auntie - and it looks super fresh and lovely! I rather like the idea of the vine winding amongst the flowers - if you decide that way - am sure it will be beautiful. Glad you mastered Frankenstein's machine too - that made me laugh! I just love that little Dresden - next to the needle it must be very small.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Auntie is looking beautiful, and the binding seems to be great. Love your little dresden !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always wondered if I needed one of those machines---thanks for your review! Your Auntie Green is going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hilda's quilt is beautiful and so is yours. It is on my "would like to make" list. I hope you'll keep at it so we can see it finished! I am crazy about your Gossip in the Garden Dresden block!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your auntie green looks awesome! Those gadgets always look cool, but sometimes the handmade way always works best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love GREEN! Oh how I wish I could find my stitching mojo and get creative again......

    ReplyDelete