Wednesday 6 April 2016

Where do I start?


It's been so long since I've posted it's hard to know where to begin. I had an amazing trip to Japan with son #2. We started in Tokyo where I spotted this patchwork quilt of Mt Fuji and the joys of Fabric Town and the renowned Tomato stores in Nippori.





I made this little coin purse for myself by adding the felt cherry blossoms.


We then travelled north to Nagano and walked through beautiful cedar forest to see the snow monkeys.





Then we headed south to Shizuoka to stay with friends. We were so lucky with the weather as we left the snow of the north to experience beautiful warm spring days and the glory of cherry and plum blossoms in full bloom. Something that I have wanted to experience for years.




I also saw a display of these amazing flowers - botan (Japanese Tree Peony) that I had only ever seen in paintings or printed on fabric. The petals were like paper feathers.




We then went across to Kyoto to experience the contrast between the modern and the ancient. 

Kyoto Station

Kinkakuji Temple
On this visit there seemed to be so many young people dressed in traditional kimono.



Our last destination was Osaka where thanks to blogger Betty Stitchup I found this amazing 5 floor fabric store Otsukaya that had everything from Liberty, Marimekko, traditional indigo prints, taupes and Japan Moda. I posted back my purchases so I'll have to show you these when they arrive by ship in the weeks to come.

Otsukaya fabric store
Since coming home I have been to the Castlemaine Applique Exhibition and I have been doing lots of sewing. I think I'll cover these in separate posts.

Sayonara
Carole






11 comments:

  1. What a great trip... I would love to see the cherry blossoms there.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a fantastic trip! I've been missing reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful pictures and such a beautiful country! Thanks so much for sharing them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos of a wonderful trip !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your trip to Japan looks wonderful--can't wait to see your fabric purchases!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like the trip of a lifetime Carole - and how nice to go with your son! Loved all the floral pics. I have a small white tree peony in my garden and the flowers are spectacular and perfumed too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you had a wonderful trip and saw amazing sights. And how special to have some goodies arriving in the post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing trip you went on. Are you inspired to work with some Japanese fabrics?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a trip! I'd like to visit both Japan and China and see traditional crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful photos, thanks for sharing and glad you're back blogging, I've missed your posts!

    ReplyDelete