Sunday 26 May 2013

Change of Direction

This has been a week of change for me because I have left my job and will be starting in a new position at the beginning of June. 

Cute card - thanks!
After a hectic week and a wonderful farewell on Friday evening I came home to two parcels in the post containing....


What great timing Australia Post! 
After nearly at the finish of Di Ford's Morrell quilt I was thinking that I wouldn't attempt another of her patterns as it just seemed all too hard but after reading  her 'Primarily Quilts'  there are at least two or three that I might just have to make. Also lots of inspiration in the Minick and Simpson duo's 'Quilts & Rugs' - just love the blue a white creations and decor.

Speaking of the Morrell, those pesky keystone blocks have still not been cooperating. This is despite Patti's excellent advice in a comment on my last post which for some reason I only half followed. So this quilt remained on the ironing basket this weekend. I remember reading somewhere that it's better not to fold a quilt (in progress or in storage) but to just leave it in a pile, anyway it's better than looking at un-ironed clothes!

Morrell quilt

So as well as changing direction with my career, this weekend I changed direction with my sewing away from the Morrell to finish binding the baby quilt that my sister and I designed and worked on together. I like to cut my binding strips 3" wide, fold in half (but not iron) and then sew a half inch seam on with my walking foot, using the edge of the foot as the guide.

Spot the Caravan quilt


 I don't use any pins but just move and hold the fabric as I sew. I also don't use any pins or clips when I hand sew the binding down, even when mitering the corners. I like the flexibility and it just seems to go together naturally. When hand sewing the back I pick up every machine stitch.



This method gives me a 1/2" binding with a neat finish on both sides.

Spot the Caravan quilt

Here is the finished quilt, any relatives in Western Australia, please look away now!

I like to call it 'Spot the Caravan'.

Spot the Caravan quilt

Feature blocks up close...

Spot the Caravan quilt

Spot the Caravan quilt

Spot the Caravan quilt

Spot the Caravan quilt

Don't they look great! 
I can't take any of the credit as my sister designed and pieced these blocks.

And finally the art shot (not!)...

Spot the Caravan quilt

I also went back to the CCCQ quilt to work on Block #8. I've been avoiding this block because of the curvy/spikey cockscomb flowers in the pattern.

Chester County Criswell quilt

As I was doing these leaves I was thinking how similar they are to the ones in Block #5 
I wonder whether it was the same designer?
Bye for now
Carole

9 comments:

  1. How exciting and scary to be changing jobs. I hope you will still have time to sew on the bus.....maybe all those Di Ford quilts! Great modern baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes its best to take a break from a project and then return to it! I recently received the Primarily Quilts book too and chose a few projects I'd like to make but they'll have to wait until I finish Phebe and maybe even longer. Cute baby quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Block 8 took me six months - but I made friends with it in the end. Hope your new job ticks all the right boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will you still have the long bus ride to work?

    ReplyDelete
  6. A nice change of direction - work and quilt - hope it all goes well there!
    Nice to see how expertly you do your binding - always good to learn about these things! It was only recently that I realised everyone else does a double binding ...LOL. I have found the construction tricky on the Di Ford quilts I've made too - and often either changed it a bit or employed some foundation paper piecing to get it right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrats on your new job. I hope you will be very happy.
    love your new quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The baby quilt looks Great! Your binding is quite fine too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I was also wondering how the job change will affect your bus ride and quilting time :) I hope things go well.

    ReplyDelete